These brownies are some of the best I’ve ever made, despite not having any chocolate in them. You can easily sub the cocoa back in, just make sure to use less. You use about 2.5x more carob powder than you would cocoa.
1/2 cup butter (melted)
1 cup white sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup cream cheese
1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup carob powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup semi-sweet carob chips
1. Preheat oven to 350F & grease and flour an 8×8 (or similar) baking pan.
2. Whip butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy
3. Add eggs and whip some more
4. Add vanilla and cream. Mix well.
5. Mix dry ingredients together (or, if using a mixer you can just add them one at a time). Be careful with the carob powder, mine poofed (is there an actual term for this?) into the air when I scooped it, and I ended up inhaling it.
6. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well.
7. Add carob chips.
8. Your brownie mix should still be thick enough to stick to the spatula, but thin enough the move a little. If you feel like you need to thin out the batter a bit you can add a small amount of vegetable oil or more cream.
9. Scoop brownie mixture into pan and smooth out so it is flat.
10. Bake for 40min at 350F, or until toothpick comes out clean.
11. Let cool for 10 minutes, then enjoy.